Thursday, April 21, 2011

O'Keeffe-style Flowers with Color Difusing Paper


     Ahhhh Georgia O'Keeffe.  Who doesn't love her beautiful flower paintings?  I have a few different lessons I like to do with different grade levels about Georgia O'Keeffe and this is one of my favorites that my dear friend Mrs. Peterson introduced me to a few years ago. 

    To start, we looked at lots of O'Keeffe flower paintings and discovered that some were cropped so tightly, and zoomed in so much, that they look abstract.  When the students drew their "zoomed in" flowers, they were challenged to have their flowers extend off their papers in at least two places.  Some students decided to zoom in enough to make abstract artworks, and those turned out great too.

     We used color difusing paper, oil pastels, and liquid watercolors to get these vibrant paintings that look so nicely on windows.






















 







2 comments:

Chesterbrook Academy Elementary said...

The colors are absolutely amazing.
An explosion of colors!

Christie - Fine Lines said...

congrats! I have passed on a Versatile Blogger Award to you. Check out the rules here: http://kids-finelines.blogspot.com/
:) Christie