Monday, April 16, 2012

Georgia O'Keeffe Inspired Tissue Paper Collages


     I love Georgia O'Keeffe in the spring time!!  I have a few lessons I do based on her.  If you like this one, you will probably also like this one for 2nd grade that is pretty similar.  For this one, we talked about balance and depth, cropping, and enlarging.  All students made tissue paper collages of flowers, but some chose to make theirs abstract.  I did a really quick demonstration on how to paint the liquid starch onto the 12" x 18" white paper, but encouraged the students to come up with their own application methods.  We also agreed that the more variation in methods the better!  I think this lesson is pretty straight-forward, so let me know if you would like any clarification!!!
    My tips for success are to use liquid starch instead of watered-down glue because it is just easier on brushes and makes for an easier clean-up.  We also stick to the rule of no wet or sticky hands in the boxes with the nice tissue paper!  The kids really did pretty well with this.  I've found that if you don't stress this you end up with lots of crumpled up tissue paper that is all stuck together shortly after embarking on a studio like this.














8 comments:

Kristyn DeMint said...

I love these! The dimension the tissue paper gives is great. I can't wait to try something like this. Did you have any trouble with the colors bleeding? Thanks!

Unknown said...

Kristyn,

Thank you!! No bleeding problems because we use the non-bleeding tissue. Using the bleeding tissue could be really interesting...messier on the fingers, but could almost add a painting element to the work.

Robyn Peterson said...

Love those Katy!

Shannah said...

These are gorgeous! Love the textural quality.

Miss said...

Fantastic- so colourful and textural. It's nice to see a 'different' take on O'Keefe's flowers. Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

What a unique plan for O'Keefe. I'm your newest follower!
I just started my own blog - love for you to check it out.
http://thisoldartroom.blogspot.com
Looking forward to seeing what else you do this year!

Terry said...

Love this version of doing O'Keefe. What kind of paper did you use for this project.

Kerren said...

Thank you for your detailed instructions. I have spent 1/2 an hour searching the internet for instructions on how to make tissue paper flowers with my class. I am in NZ so I am not sure if I am going to be able to source the right materials eg liquid starch and non bleeding tissue paper. I am looking forward to creating beautiful daffodils with my year twos.